Teacher Appreciation Week!




Teacher Appreciation Week. 

This is probably my favorite week of the year, aside from my birthday week. It's a week dedicated to appreciation everything educators, all educators, do for America's students. People have this idea of a teacher being some old schoolmarm with a line of apples on her desk and no husband, and everyone thinks she is mean. 

THIS IS NOT A TEACHER. 

A teacher is someone who inspired you in school, and school can be elementary, high school, and college; a teacher is someone who drove you to do your best. That's a teacher. Teachers take all shapes and sizes and wear a lot of different hats, and they all deserve to be appreciated. This week means everything to my profession, especially in North Carolina. We have taken a beating this year, and there is a large group of us who keep coming back for more. 

Why? Why do I keep coming back? 

Because, my passion is education. Teaching is a life style. It's a large part of my self identity, and my heart is endless with how much I love my students. That's right - I love your child as my own. I haven't had my own children, that is irrelevant. My capacity to love and make your child believe in themselves is something I take very seriously about my job. It's my hope that this week you take time to appreciate that. Appreciate the teachers who hug your child when you aren't there, who encourage your child when you can't, who remind them that they have a million and one things to offer this world when you can't. We are a team. We aren't enemies. We both want the best for your child and that's the most success they can achieve. 

Appreciate your teachers. Appreciate our jobs - for most of us, it's our life. 

I may not ever have a lot of money. I may not ever get to afford to take a vacation, because my classroom needs pencils and glue or one of my babes needed new clothes or a backpack. I may not ever get to spend a weekend doing whatever I want, because my duty to my passion outranks binging on Netflix, but I know one thing - I will have impacted so many lives that the count is innumerable. I will have made a difference that will continue long after I am here. I will have showed a child that they are loved and valued, and that they are the most important person to me, not just for 180 days, but for their whole life. My oldest class will be in 8th grade next year, and guess what? They still run to greet me in Food Lion, and still tell me that they love me and they mean it. 

So, take this week to appreciate the people who educate your whole child. It's not about the presents. It's not about material goods - just say "Thank you." It will be enough. I promise. 



On a side note: The school from California is providing me a contract today or tomorrow. We will see what happens. 

No comments:

 
BLOG DESIGN BY DESIGNER BLOGS