Five Wonderful Things.

This past weekend has been, by far, one of the best weekends I have had in a long time, and not for any particular reason other than, I am finally enjoying this season of my life. 

Turning twenty-five was a mentally agonizing time for so many reasons. I realize that, for some, turning twenty-five was such a blink of an eye that my reservations about it are silly, but as a Southern woman, being twenty-five is a milestone. You should be married, or at least engaged, and you should be set in your career. Again, for some this doesn't bother them, but for me, not having all of that equation was a struggle. Very recently, however, my opinion and viewpoint has shifted dramatically. 

I have come to be in love with every minute of my life - key word: my. I have not a single obligation to anyone or anything other than myself and my profession. To be honest: I don't have an obligation to my profession per say, but I do have an obligation to my professional goals that I have set for myself. So, here's to a fabulous weekend that was simply fabulous, because I did what I want, with people that I love. As I bask in glow of a half-way successful Monday, here's to five wonderful things for this past week. I hope your week is as fabulous as you are, darlings. 

1. I had mid-week drinks with my friends. For a teacher, this is such a big deal - we are not the profession to meet at 5 for happy hour. We are the profession who stays at school till 5 and then goes home to work some more, and fall asleep before prime time television. This past week was different though. We shopped, laughed, and enjoyed ourselves like the young professionals we are. 

2. Walking Dead premiered. I love zombies. Yes, pretty girls can be nerds too. My best friend turned me on to the show, and I haven't been able to look away since. Last night, we had our annual zombie party to commemorate the premiere. While I felt the premiere was lack luster (personal opinion), it was nice to have zombies back in my life and time with my best friend is always a plus. 

3. I got my hair straightened. This seems like a tiny detail, but I never straighten my hair. I've had it straight less than ten times in my whole life, so when it happens, it's a big deal. A friend of mine straightened for a girls' night out + a friend's concert at a local club, and it just changed my world view. Simply having my hair straight changed me, just for a weekend - loosened me up for a bit. Call it silly, but it's nice to pretend to be someone else for a while. 

4. I balanced my work load. This has been a long time coming, and I am still not very good at it, but the key to true success is balancing work and life effectively and this week, I did all right for myself. I worked on things for a little bit on Saturday and it made my whole weekend better. There wasn't a rush on Sunday to do all plans for the week, and there wasn't this overwhelming feeling of dread. It was a nice balance. I hope I can make it stick. 

5. I am sticking to my budget. October is such a busy month for me, with a ton of activities that I want to do with all my friends and those activities cost money. My undergrad's homecoming is this month and I cannot wait to spend time with all my college friends, but that costs money. I made a budget at the beginning of the month, and here we are, almost halfway through, and I am sticking to it! I feel so empowered that I am in control of my money and don't feel anxious about where that money is going or how I am going to pay for x, y, and z. 

Monday can be sand paper or sparkles - I hope your's was sparkly all over! Until next time, loves 
- xo, Lucy 

No comments:

 
BLOG DESIGN BY DESIGNER BLOGS