Where have you been all my life? {post-surgery fabulousness + other musings.}

One major holiday and surgery later, the Ginger is back + with a plan. 

The stretch to Thanksgiving was easy to tolerate in some ways - I had gallbladder surgery and missed a week from school (an awful thing to do, I don't recommend it), so I only had two days to separate me from school and the holiday. 

Thanksgiving was amazing - being home with my family is an experience that I cherish, especially now that I am out on my own for almost five years now. I desperately miss my time with them, but moving back to eastern Kentucky is not on the radar at all or even anywhere close to what my five year plan looks like. My family does influence my professional choices; however, as any twenty-something will tell you, it's not the deciding factor by any means. 

It was so nice to be surrounded by love and good food and a mom who takes care of you, especially post surgery. I am already counting the days till I am back for Christmas. 

My surgery, which preceded all of this, was easy, with a single rough day of recovery (which I am blessed so much for.) I stayed overnight in the hospital the night after, because all the air that they inflate you with was the worst pain I had ever felt. Thank goodness for IV medicines, moms, and good nurses. My recovery has gone well - being without an organ has forced to me cut out fast food completely, which is another great thing. For any of you who thought positive thoughts, vibes, or prayers - thank you, I appreciate it. 

In other news, I am waiting to hear about acceptance to the MSA program that I applied for. I should be hearing, informally at least, towards the middle of this month, and formally, in January. After considering my options, I truly feel that this is my best interest professionally. I am slowly becoming okay with the idea that I am ready for different work - not less, but different. 

When I became a teacher, I knew I would never retire after thirty years in the classroom. Number one, that is a ridiculous notion. Number two, I get bored easily. Number three, I get attached easily and the list could continue. As I move towards my fourth year of teaching, I am ready for new and different responsibilities. It might mean being a principal, working for a non profit, starting my own non profit, working for a consulting firm - I don't know right now, to be honest, but I know it's there and it will happen very soon. 

I have started to do some research about the other opportunities that exist for teachers who are built for more than  lesson planning and data talks - my true passion and drive is to make others love teaching as much as I do, and to make sure they are effective while doing it. Our students have suffered too long without true, effective educators and it's up to a group of determined people (who aren't associated with charter schools or politicians) to make that difference. 

So, as my students wrap up their second district test this week, I leave with the attitude of excellence on this Friday and I hope your weekend is just as fabulous as you are. 

"I have to thank God and Ice Cube for Friday, because we like to party." - J Cole 

Photo Credit: Google Images

No comments:

 
BLOG DESIGN BY DESIGNER BLOGS