Working Woman Wednesday - {Ask Lucy Edition.}

Photo Credit: Peanuts Wikipedia
Good morning, loves! 

It's been a whirlwind, with August being an endless Sunday night for teachers preparing for new classrooms, new schools, new school supplies, and a routine after a not-so-long summer. 

Ginger On the Move is something I am more than dedicated to, and posts will continue throughout the school year - maintaining some of the features I have started this summer, such as Must Read Monday and Strategy Saturday. You guys have been such faithful and supportive readers and have made this journey even more fantastic than I could have ever believed or imagined! 

So, on with today's special edition of #WorkingWomanWednesday - a dear, sweet, amazing friend from college and I had the chance to catch up yesterday, and she had a brilliant suggestion for a feature of Ask Lucy, where I can address more specific areas of teaching and what my experience has been like thus far, and of course, I loved it! I love talking about my passion, and I love helping other teachers - the stakes are too high to teach with your door closed, so here's to the first edition of Ask Lucy, with questions by Kashara (: 

1. What are your thoughts going into another year of teaching? What ideas are going through your mind?
Oh goodness, this is such a good question. To be honest, I am slightly anxious about next year, more so for my grade level than for my individual classroom. Our school went through some changes this year, and have ended up with a new, but passionate staff, which exciting, but for me, as a veteran teacher, makes me realize how important my actions will be to my new teammates. I want to make sure I show them how positive and fulfilling teaching can be, and that despite negative media reporting and pop culture knowledge, it's the best job that you will ever have. 

As far as ideas go, I am expanding into strategy based reading groups, which is a reading group focused on a comprehension strategy (ex. context clues) as opposed to having a leveled reading group (ex. all students reading below grade level.) I think for the majority of my students this will be beneficial, because while I have some at-risk students, I do have some students who can literally read (call words), but need assistance with comprehension. I am also working on a library check out system. As a reading lover myself, I have built an extensive classroom library, so I want to make sure students can use those books, but they are accountable as well. 

2. What activities do you have planned for the first week? 
The first week of school is one of my favorite times, as I think it is for most teachers - it's a chance to try new ideas and change routines you didn't like about last year. During the first week and weeks, my classroom focuses heavily on procedures and expectations. Students move their clips (a behavior system) more in August and September, because we are establishing the culture for the year. A few mistakes in the beginning will save you in the long run, and by keeping consistency with routines throughout the year, students can assimilate new students fairly easily. 

Specific activities that I am planning are classroom job rotation, so that everyone gets a chance to see what the job entails, practicing centers with get-to-know you activities, and labeling their folders and notebooks to keep their notes and data organized. 

I will say that I do not do "cute" back to school activities - real teaching will take place on the first day. I have 180 days with my students - time will not be wasted on some stupid coloring sheet. There will be opportunities through practicing centers in the first week to complete those sort of activities, but whole group will be real teaching. 

3. What advice would you give to teachers relocating to new schools? 
This is an interesting question for me, because I tried so hard to relocate to another country, another state, and another district, and it just didn't work out, but if you are thinking of relocating, consider these: 
- Schools want someone who is flexible and willing to be a team player. I will bet anything on the fact that any school (elementary, middle, or high) has or had team members who are not willing to share, and as a new hire, you have to be the opposite. 
- Be passionate. Share your love for teaching - that is contagious. Share your enthusiasm, but be careful of sharing other feelings. (: 
- Remember that while you're the new kid on the block, you still have valuable tools to share! You still are knowledgeable, and still have things to offer to your new team. Don't forget that. 

I didn't answer all the questions, because they were so good and I didn't want to scrunch any, so there will be a definite second edition of Ask Lucy, and if you have any questions you would answer, PLEASE submit them. I would love to hear from my readers - you guys make my life! (: 

Until next time, loves - 
xo

No comments:

 
BLOG DESIGN BY DESIGNER BLOGS